The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Provisions of People...

It just continues to amaze me, even as the post-cancer part of this whole journey carries on, the provisions that unfold each day. Provisions of finances--as medical bills continue to linger and pour in monthly, provisions of emotional and spiritual support--as adjusting to this 'new normal' has proven to be more daunting and overwhelming than much of actual treatment was *something I was not necessarily expecting* But most of all, provisions in the form of PEOPLE.

If there's one very big gift gained from going through something life-altering, it's grasping the importance of our interactions with those we cross paths... and that is not limited to those already a part of our life... rather absolutely any and every person God brings our way on a daily basis.
I said in another blog-post a while back that I've become 'that crazy-lady' in the checkout line who searches out deeper conversation and fellowship with any and all who will engage with me and how that is now just a part of my reality. Walking past someone in a parking-lot without making conscious eye-contact, if even just to offer a smile is nearly unheard of for me, these days.
The thing that sets me back a bit, however, is the 1 in 5 times worth of concerted effort that the person reciprocates. It's sad really just how few DO respond in the same friendly and open manner... and I live in a small town where you'd hope that number would be even higher. God forbid I ever move to a metropolis and have to find out the even sadder statistical reality. What does not surprise me, however, is how in nearly every reciprocated case I find out that they, too, have a story that has led them to live life differently. This is something I've reeeeeeally grown to appreciate about other survivors, conquerers, and what-have-you. Their grasp on the preciousness of moments and other people is fierce. So fierce that they too are extra-open and 'weirdly forward,' like me.

I. love. that.

Today, while enjoying a loooooong overdue chat with my beloved c-sister, Amy, a very personal and raw topic arose in our conversation which led her to mention a friend of hers whom she wanted to connect me with. I will provide more details of this connection at a later time, I'm sure, as it could be the start of something very big in our lives...or it could end up being no more than just another awesome person in my life. Whichever prevails, I am thankful for her, as she too is a survivor.. and after our completely meaningful and lovely chat tonight, there is no doubt of God's doing in our connection.

Perhaps what I love the very most about having no time to be formal and dealing with people who live by that same concept, is that you can just CUT TO THE CHASE. It is really lovely to talk to a complete stranger as though you've known them your whole life and have them feel so completely comfortable and welcoming of that in return. Then, to find out not ten minutes into your informal 'stranger chat' that you have mutual connections in the real world *we're talking from like childhood years*--is just confirmation of God's hand in your meeting.


I am 100 *and ten* percent convinced that this IS the way God designed us to interact with and love one another. Look at Jesus..the way He just walked right up to people offering hugs, comfort, support, food, blessings, etc etc.. while they were yet 'strangers.' Lest we need to be reminded, 'stranger' is a foreign word in the spiritual world as Julie (this new friend of mine, via my provisioned c-sister) was and is already a sister-in-Christ and therefore never was a true stranger.

So..
Cancer or no cancer.
Life-altering event or no life-altering event.

THIS WEEK.. tomorrow..
and the next day..

I challenge you to treat every single person who crosses your path like a loved-one.

Bless them with your smile.
Ask them how their day is going.... and really mean it.
Pay for their lunch. Or even just a coffee. Or give them your bottle-return voucher.
Or just make a concerted effort to hold the door for them and catch their eye-contact so as to say...I see you and I know you are here, crossing my path today.

You might be amazed to uncover how many of those 'random' interactions are provisions of people with a very deep purpose in and for your life~

1 comment:

  1. Love this honey... yes...in our current world as we have become accustomed distrust of others has only heightened people living to and for only themselves. I have always said that it never hurts to be gracious to the ungracious since we do not know the details of the circumstance they are caught in. I often wonder when I see or listen to someone unable to smile or say a kind word or who reacts abruptly in a grocery line etc if perhaps they just lost a loved one, or suffered terrible news that day, lost a job, etc... and when I consider this, well, I just am sorry, and yes, offer a small smile, or kind word......never hurts. God does have a way too of sovereignly directing our paths to those whom He wills, when we have this realization, it can be wonderful....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits