The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Monday, July 15, 2013

Purple's MY new pink--Part.1~

So, those of you who've known me for my lifetime know the irony of my hating pink *shunning it even* for all of my child and adolescent years only to enter college and have it become my favorite color... only to enter my thirties and have it suddenly represent something that makes me hate it again.

Haha.
Yes. I'm wishy-washy. What can I say.
I'm such a girl. ;)

But really... who can completely blame me for being SICK OF IT after all this?
Pink ribbons. Pink hair-extensions. Pink boxing gloves. Pink t-shirts. Pink phrases on eeeeeeverything!
Though I stand ever so grateful for all those things--many of which were received as gifts--I am indeed, pinked-out and have absolutely zero desire to acquire anymore pink.

My prayer is that the next time I find myself drawn to the color will have something to do with baby-girls...whether in the form of my own, or a new niece or something within my immediate family. ;)

So, what's in it's place now?
Well. Without really even thinking much about it, I've recently gravitated towards the color purple.
I've always liked lavender and lilacs are one of my very favorite of flowers...but recently, anytime I'm given the choice of color preference I look for purple.

No. I was not aware that it is just the general cancer-awareness color.
No. I did not really consider how it was one of my very favorite people's--my grammy Kiki--favorite color.
And No. I also did not recall (until a beginning to plan our upcoming 'cancer-free' celebration) the fun little poems around the color.

You know what I'm talking about. My particular version was:
'When my girlfriend's and I are old, we shall wear purple.'

Yes, favorite colors are not a very 'deep' subject, but I have--for whatever reason and sort of beyond my control--been thinking about it a lot.
Today, in thinking about it, I looked up a poem like it, again. I used to actually have a print of it in my room as a girl--I think it eventually ended up at the goodwill, but I remember reading it frequently for the few adolescent years it hung above my victorian-style daybed. Seeing as it's been so long since I read one of them, it was fun to see one again.


WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

I've decided two things about this poem and it's significance in my life right now.
The first, is the realization of my very first cancer blog--the fact that this very poet 'expects' to 'grow old'--that whole invincibility thing again.
The second, sort of relating to the first, is within this realization, I've decided to re-name (and eventually re-write the poem itself in Part.2 of this entry)--but for now, in applying it to myself, it's title is:

While I am living, I shall wear purple.


I shall wear it in recognition of the battle--and OVERCOMING of cancer.
I shall wear it in fond remembrance of one of the most beautiful women this world ever saw.

And I shall wear it in celebration of this moment...
because I don't know if 'old' is just all relative and I'm unwilling to bet on tomorrow~

1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits